Heavy Duty Diesel Mechanic
Tractor/Trailer Mechanics are responsible for performing preventative maintenance and general repairs on tractor and trailer units to Company and DOT standards. Mechanics complete all needed repairs keeping quality, safety, and expediency at the forefront. Mechanics are the service provider as well as diagnostic technician and troubleshooter for Drivers, Driver Managers, and Driver Trainers by ensuring their needs are met through effective communication on all equipment repairs. Mechanics work with Safety and Operations personnel and Drivers to improve vehicle out of service standards and ensure compliance with DOT and Company requirements. Mechanics are also responsible for inventory controls, processing order paperwork, and maintaining equipment. Mechanics are relied on daily to keep our fleet of trucks and trailers in top condition.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Diagnose and repair medium to heavy-duty trucks and trailers, including preventative maintenance, inspections, repair to air and hydraulic brakes, tires, warranty procedures, driveline, steering and suspension, electrical, mobile AC refrigeration with safety as the top priority.
- Identify, diagnosis, and resolve tractor and trailer related issues, i.e. PTO, tachometer, speedometer, power steering, power divider, U-joint, transmission, rear end, A/C, starter, alternator, APU, etc.
- Diagnose and repair trailer components such as doors, floors and side panels.
- Perform preventive maintenance (PMs) on tractor and trailer equipment including routine technical repairs and completing repair orders.
- Remain technically proficient in all areas of the shop including tractor, trailer, tire, and basic parts administration.
- Perform general or routine welding with or without prints.
- Use effective interpersonal skills to maintain positive working relationships with team members.
- Contribute to the goals of the shop, leadership team, and Company as a whole.
- Utilize appropriate resources, such as the parts manual and computer, service bulletins and other resources to research problems, determine most effective and efficient method for repair and locate parts.
- Document work order details within the Company’s internal work order system
- Ensure proper documentation is complete, including repair orders, filing, etc.
- Abide by all Company policies and safety rules and assist in maintaining a clean, safe work environment.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement and take appropriate actions, recommend process changes, and initiate improvements.
- Be a positive role model for all team members providing support and enthusiasm – creating a professional, positive work environment.
- Work additional hours in accordance with business needs and other demands of the position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Demonstrate sound judgment and the ability to make logical decisions in support of business demands.
Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact and communicate effectively over the phone and face to face; building solid working relationships with team members.
Use effective time management techniques and demonstrate the ability to prioritize and multi task without negatively impacting performance or results.
Must be able to effectively and accurately complete detailed work with a sense of urgency; always keeping safety at the forefront and demonstrating safe operating procedures.
Demonstrate the ability to anticipate and evaluate problems and situations and draw logical conclusions to make successful repairs.
Computer skills, data accuracy, and a willingness to learn new software programs.
Ability to maintain composure and react professionally during periods of stress.
Must be self-motivated and able and willing to work independently while motivating team efforts.
Demonstrate diagnostic and troubleshooting competency relating to equipment repairs.
Possess basic tools to perform duties.
Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
Ability to perform tasks requiring heavy physical effort occasionally in inclement weather.
Knowledge of tools, equipment, materials, methods, and practices of engine repair, mechanical and electrical systems and maintenance.
Ability to work in safe and efficient manner.
Education: High school diploma or GED.
Experience : A technical school certification or advanced degree in diesel engines, electronics, and/or related field, minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in medium to heavy duty truck repairs. The ability to demonstrate successful welding skills in non-standard situations and on varying materials is a plus.
Certifications/Licenses: Valid Class A CDL (commercial driver’s license) with Tank and Hazardous Materials Endorsements
Tools: Must utilize basic hand and air operated tools to satisfactorily perform this job.
These are Safety Sensitive positions as defined by the Federal Department of Transportation and are therefore subject to all current and future DOT Drug and Alcohol Testing Regulations
Work is considered heavy physical work requiring the exertion of 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Must possess strength, stamina, and mobility to perform heavy physical work indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to potentially hazardous chemicals.
Must be able to:
- walk, lift, reach, stoop, stand, grasp, balance, climb, kneel, and crouch for extended periods of time;
- visually inspect small defects and/or small parts;
- operate machines, motor vehicles, hand tools, and job specific equipment and tools;
- determine the accuracy and thoroughness of work;
- demonstrate the ability to hear and accurately interpret mechanical, technical and business information in an environment subject to noise, vibrations, etc.; and
- perform all work safely in a fast-paced work environment.
Spends most time outdoors. Possible exposure to distraction/uncomfortable noise levels and vibration of body or extremities. Risk of bodily injury from mechanical parts, electricity, etc. Possible exposure to fumes, odors, etc. that may affect respiration and skin.
The intent of this job specification is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented.
Job Type: Full-time